Juan Gomez de Mora, its architect, started to built it it 1644 and finished in 1693. The artistic style was baroque Was one of the main centers of medieval Madrid due to its location between the gate of Guadalajara and La Vega, two of the most important accesses of the city during the Middle Ages. Henry IV was who commissioned the project. In the XV century, the town square adopted its current name, coinciding with the granting of the title of Noble and Leal Villa received by Madrid from the hands of King Henry IV of Castile.
It used to be an important area for urban hub, the building served as town hall and prison, it was a perfect central meeting point for trade and public gatherings. The square is popular among visitors today thanks to the many historic buildings which are located around it. Finally, the Casa de la Villa the home of the local government of Madrid, the Ayuntamiento, until 2008.
It is one of Madrid’s prettiest buildings in Madrid. It has a barroco madrileño. it was the permanent seat of Madrid’s city government from the Middle Ages until recent years, when Madrid’s city council relocated to the grand Palacio de Cibeles on Plaza de Cibeles.
On the western side of the square is the 17th-century former ayuntamiento (town hall), in Habsburg-style baroque with Herrerian slate-tile spires. On the opposite side of the square is the Gothic Casa de los Lujanes, whose brickwork tower is said to have been ‘home’ to the imprisoned French monarch François I after his capture in the Battle of Pavia (1525). The plateresque (15th- and 16th-century Spanish baroque) Casa de Cisneros, built in 1537 with later Renaissance alterations, also catches the eye.
Incorporated hundreds of baroque decoratives to the building. The façade facing the square shows two angular towers with spiers. The balcony, with three windows, shows a rich stone ornamentation. The interior has an exquisite decoration made up of 17th century tapestries, marble statues, paintings… The most interesting room is the Salon de Goya, which is covered with a fresco painted ceiling.
They used the same techniques from the World War II . This way the glass roof of the House of the Villa has been restored.
The colored tiles that make up the dome were removed. All together there have been almost five months of work that has had a budget of 400,000 €.
The pavement is constituted by tiles of granite, cobblestones of Dioritic porphyries and porphyritic granite.
Where did granite came from?
The term granite was first used in the 17th century. Scientists would look up for more information on the stone: granite is first known as molten stone, thousands of kilometres below us. Pressure forces the magma and other minerals to combine, while it rises to the surface, the igneous mix hardens into the rock named granite.
Granite havent suffered any type of alteration. It resists to:
-Compression: Compressive strength refers to the maximum compressive stress that can support a material until it breaks.
-Flexure: they have tried a strenght testing machine in granite with an impact energy of 0.02kg·m, in order to make it possible to test a fragile material as rock.
-Impact: They basically describe rocks that have been produced in a meteorite impact process.
-Wear(desgaste): Is the ability not to lose mass by friction. Granite has a high degree of wear resistance due to its quartz content.
But it can change color when it gets wet because at a microscopic level it is full of holes and the porous surface of stone allows water to get in and absorb, darkening the appearance.
- Granite is an igneous rock with grains. It is formed from the crystallization of magma below Earth’s surface.Features of Dioritic porphyries: Porphyry is an igneous rock characterized by porphyritic texture. Is a very common texture in igneous rocks in which larger crystals are embedded in a fine-grained groundmass.nt area for urban hub, the building served as town hall and prison, it was a perfect central meeting point for trade and public gatherings. The square is popular among visitors today thanks to the many historic buildings which are located around it. Finally, the Casa de la Villa the home of the local government of Madrid, the Ayuntamiento, until 2008.
- Porphyry is an igneous rock characterized by porphyritic texture. Is a very common texture in igneous rocks in which larger crystals are embedded in a fine-grained groundmass.
- Porphyritic granite: Is a typical granite. The most important feature of its texture is the large pink feldspar crystals.
Here you have the photo of the components of the granite:
Here it is the video talking about Casa de la Villa:
360º photo of Casa de la Villa
Photo with Aurasma with the video we made here.
Thanks for reading
Gabriel Díaz, Claudia Garrido, Lara Martín, Olaya Fernandez and Javier Hinojosa