By Charlie Parra – Guitar VS Violin 3: STORM Heavy Metal
Original song by Antonio Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Summer
This building was built between the years 1913-1916 and inaugurated on May 13, 1916. It is built in a market square next to the Plaza Mayor.
Previously, there was a church called San Miguel de los Ocotes, where Lope de Vega was baptised, but in 1809 it was demolished by the orders of Jose I Bonaparte who after that, commissioned the construction of the Mercado de San Miguel.
In the second half of the XIX century, hygienist’s ideas appeared in newspapers; for example, several Spanish writers and journalists wrote some articles about the painful situations of the markets in that place. To solve this, they wanted to build closed markets, for example, the Mercado de San Miguel.
The idea of this closed market comes from the year 1835. It was said that the construction of this building would start soon, but it didn’t start until 1913 .
The construction of this building was carried out when the owners of the terrain and the owners of the market posts formed a society.
Its commercial activity decreased due to popularity of the modern supermarkets and shopping centres, so it closed for a time. In 1999, it was proposed that it should be reopened, but this wasn’t accepted until 2009.
This building cost 300.000 pesetas (about 1800€) to build.
3D Model of the old Mercado de San Miguel:
3D Model of the New Mercado de San Miguel:
The architect of the Mercado de San Miguel was Alfonso Dubé y Díez. The main architectural elements of this building are the iron pillars that support the structure and the main decorative elements are the crenellations.
Its architectural type is ”Iron architecture.”
It has 2 floors and a total surface of 1200 square meters. The market is built over an horizontal platform, that is elevated 10 centimeters from the lowest point and 1.65 meters from the highest point.
In this building, there are 9 paths, they are 4 to 4.5 meters of wide. The posts are usually a square form of 2.2 meters on each side.
After the market was reopened in 2009, glass panels were added to the building to make up the walls.
This building is made up of marble, granite, metal and glass.
Marble is a non-foliated metamorphic rock, which is formed under really high pressures and temperatures. Granite is an intrusive igneous rock which is formed when magma cools down beneath the Earth’s surface.
Granite is an igneous plutonic rock. These rocks are formed when magma cools down slowly beneath the Earth’s crust, due to that they form crystals. It is a granular and phaneritic in texture, and it can be white and pink but it is usually gray.
These materials where chosen because they are durable and marble also is very decorative. The granite extracted in Madrid comes from two quarries. The first is located to the east of Madrid and the second is located in a town called Zarzalejo. Marble comes from the North part of Madrid. We could not find any information about how they transported the rocks from these places but we suppose that they used horses and carts.
Granite has undergone alterations due to acid rain. The levels of pollution are typically higher in cities and because of this, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide are released into the atmosphere. Whenever these gases mix with water in the clouds, acids are formed. These acid rains cause granite to slowly erode. Marble has not suffered any damages because it doesn’t deteriorate with time, and is only used indoors so external agents don’t affect it.
By Víctor Nieto, Iván Carcaboso, Paula Fernández and Sara Gomez.